Download the Story PDF.
“Powerful things come in small packages,” my father told me years ago. Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) Canada proves the point. While it is the smallest of Canada’s Provinces, P.E.I. moves the hearts and minds of millions. Author L. M. Montgomery based her beloved book series around a small farm here, called Green Gables. The stories have served as a magnet, drawing fans from around the world. Eric was enchanted by the pastoral scenes, from adopted memories, that still dominate the landscape here. Come spend some time in a storybook reverie of Green Gables of Cavendish on P.E.I.
- 1 The Wood Islands Lighthouse was first lit in 1876 and sits near the southeastern tip of the island.
- 2 Prince Edward Island is one of Canada’s smallest and least populated provinces.
- 3 Matthew–from the Green Gables stories–is shy, but loves Anne dearly.
- 4 Green Gables is the name of a 19th-century farm in Cavendish, P.E.I. that was built from 1831-1870.
- 5 The Green Gables book series was first introduced in 1908 and is considered a classic children’s novel.
- 6 Diana–from the Green Gables stories– is Anne’s best friend.
- 7 Gilbert–from the Green Gables stories–starts off as Anne’s rival, but eventually they become friends.
- 8 Lucy Maud Montgomery speaking with her imaginary friend. What was her name again?
- 9 Agriculture is the dominant industry here, with almost half of the island’s land dedicated to farming.
- 10 Marilla–from the Green Gables stories– is the sister to Matthew and raised Anne.
- 11 Surrey carriage rides are a great way to see the beautiful country, but did you know that they were originally made in England?
- 12 Enjoy summertime on Prince Edward Island with family, friends, and anyone else you so desire!